When you’re determined to keep driving and be independent as long as you can, you need suitable car insurance that’s got you covered. There’s a little bit more to consider, such as renewing your driving license and disclosing certain medical conditions, but other than that we want to help you keep motoring along as usual with our over 80s car insurance.
Can I get car insurance over 80?
If you’re well enough to drive, and you aren’t affected by a medical condition that stops you driving safely, you can still get insurance, subject to our usual terms and conditions.
There’s no maximum legal driving age in the UK, and we don’t have an upper age limit on our car insurance policies. With over 80s car insurance, we’ll make sure you’re fully insured to drive, as long as you can do so safely.
Some medical conditions will affect your eligibility to drive, and these are listed on the government website. If you are affected, you’ll need to tell both your insurance provider and the DVLA.
Not telling your insurance provider or the DVLA about a listed medical condition could invalidate your insurance, so you could face prosecution if you’re involved in an accident while driving uninsured.
Why choose Saga car insurance for over 80s drivers?
Saga Standard, Saga Select and Saga Plus policies are designed with car insurance for over 80s in mind. Our policies offer several key benefits designed to appeal especially to more mature drivers:
With Saga Plus policies you can:
- Plan your costs in advance with our 3-year fixed price (if nothing changes. T&Cs apply).
- Get up to £1 million medical cover with Accident Healthcare.
- Reach any UK destination or multiple destinations by arranged taxi if your car is too damaged in a UK accident to drive with Onward Taxi Travel.
- Protect yourself against loss or damage of keys with Key protection, with up to £2,500 per claim and up to £50 for wear and tear. You won’t have to pay an excess and your No Claim Discount won’t be affected.
- Stay behind the wheel with confidence, with 4 hours of driver confidence coaching included with Legal Protection.
The features included in all our policies mean you won’t have to worry if:
- You need to make a claim and want to protect your hard-earned No Claim Discount – if you have four or more years of No Claim Discount, we’ll protect it against two fault claims in a three-year period (optional on Saga Standard ).
- An uninsured driver hits your car, and the accident isn’t your fault – as long as you get the other car’s registration details.
- You’re heading abroad as we provide EU cover for up to 90 days in any policy year (or unlimited on Saga Select and Saga Plus) with the same level of cover as you have in the UK.
- You need a replacement car after an accident in the UK while your car is being repaired by an approved repairer.
- You carry valuables in your car, we cover up to £400 on Saga Standard and up to £1000 on Saga Select and Saga Plus.
Does car insurance go up after age 80?
Your personal claims history, mileage needs, the car you drive and where you keep it, will all still be considered when you are looking at car insurance quotes for over 80s.
To keep over 80s car insurance costs to an affordable level, you should consider the following when looking to get car insurance for an over 80s driver:
- Provide an accurate estimate of mileage, as you might be traveling fewer miles
- Consider the type of car you drive, aiming for a car that sits in a lower insurance group
- Make sure your car has the right security features
- Consider increasing your voluntary excess if you can afford to do so
Remember that cheap car insurance isn’t always necessarily the best car insurance for the over 80s. You should always make sure that you get the right cover for your needs and check policy details very carefully before buying.
What does over 80s car insurance cover?
The best car insurance for over 80s covers the same as car insurance policies for any other age group and varies based on how much cover you need. Over 80s car insurance comes in three different types:
Third Party – covers damage to a third party, whether that’s another vehicle, a building or person, but not the cost of repairing or replacing your car.
Third Party, Fire and Theft – third party, plus cover for your vehicle following fire or theft.
Comprehensive – covers damage to your car and any passengers, someone else’s car and its occupants, belongings inside your car, vandalism, and may give you a courtesy car if yours can’t be used due to an accident.
The legal minimum insurance you need to drive your car in the UK is Third Party, but many people find that Comprehensive cover gives the greatest reassurance.
Saga offers three different levels of over 80s car insurance cover, Saga Plus, Saga Select and Saga Standard, each with the same great Saga service so you can choose the most suitable policy for your needs and budget.
Find out more about the best car insurance for over 80s for your needs
Is there a maximum age for car insurance?
While some providers will insure drivers between fixed ages and have an upper limit of 80, Saga car insurance policies do not have a maximum age limit.
As long as you’re well enough to drive and not affected by any DVLA-listed medical conditions, we’ll continue to provide you with over 80s car insurance, subject to our usual terms and conditions. And with no upper limits in place, we can offer car insurance for drivers over 85 and beyond.
Can I insure an older car?
If it’s not just you, but your car that has a high number of miles on the clock, we can still offer car insurance quotes for over 80s on older cars.
But bear in mind that one of the ways you can keep down the cost of over 80s car insurance is by choosing the type of car you drive carefully. Choosing a car that is included in a lower insurance group could keep the costs down, based on factors such as value, performance, safety and security.
Cars that are 15 years or older with a market value over £15,000 could be considered a classic by HM Revenue and Customs, and although we don’t offer a specific classic car policy with an agreed value, we don’t have a vehicle age limit and may be able to insure a classic car under our normal policy terms.
Will my health affect me getting car insurance over 80s?
If you’re medically fit to drive, then most health issues shouldn’t affect your eligibility for car insurance for over 80s. We don’t usually need to know about any health issue or medical condition, as long as the DVLA has not restricted or removed your license.
Check if your health condition will affect your driving or tell DVLA about a medical condition.
Should I inform the DVLA if I decide to stop driving?
There isn’t an upper age limit that stops you driving, but if you are advised by a doctor, or you decide the time is right for you to stop driving, you’ll need to tell DVLA and send them your license.
If you’re worried about whether you continue to be fit to drive, you can speak to your GP. If you’re starting to feel less confident on the road, you could consider taking a driver confidence course that will help you assess whether the time has come for you to stop driving.
Organizations, including RoSPA and the IAM, provide a driver assessment, not a test, as a way to check your driving ability and make changes to the way you drive so you can be safer on the roads.
Customers who have Legal Protection with us – included as standard with our Saga Plus cover level, or optional with other cover levels – can access up to four hours of driver confidence coaching to help you get back on the road.
Who are Saga’s car insurance policies underwritten by?
Our policies are underwritten by several different insurers. We handpick these companies very carefully, and make sure they have the same high standards of quality and service as we do. If you buy a policy from us you’ll see the name of the underwriter in your policy documents.
Get an over 80s car insurance quote