fbpx
World

Man found unresponsive and another arrested on ‘nightmare’ city center alley

A man was thought to be dead while another was arrested for public order offenses on a ‘nightmare’ alleyway in the center of Dublin last night.

North Lotts, which is just off Liffey Street Lower, has become a hotspot for anti-social behavior over the past eight weeks, amid fears forced prostitution is taking place. A local councilor previously saw a woman shooting heroin into her arm while a child in a pram was just a few feet away.

In the latest incident, a man was believed to be dead by a shocked passer-by. However, a source confirmed that the man, who was treated by emergency services at the laneway, was alive, and was subsequently taken to hospital.

Read more: ‘I saw a woman shooting heroin with a child in the pram on city center alley’, says Councillor

Another man, in his 20s, was arrested at the scene for public order offenses and was later charged. Gardai confirmed they are investigating the incident.

A spokeswoman said: “Garda√≠ is investigating a public order incident that occurred on North Lotts, Dublin 1 yesterday evening, Wednesday June 22, 2022 at approximately 10.20pm. One male was found to be unresponsive and was treated by Emergency Services.”

She added: “A male (20s) was arrested for public order offens and taken to Store Street Garda Station where he was detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984. He was later charged and is due to appear before CCJ at a later date. “

A witness to the scene told Dublin Live she “was walking down the lane at the back of Supermacs on O’Connell Street in Dublin 1 last night, and there was a body on the ground and about six or eight guards there. An ambulance came and took him away, and it was sealed off with the yellow tape. “

Dublin Live previously reported that crack cocaine and heroin use and dealing are so common on North Lotts that a local Councillor compared it to an open market for drugs. Residents living on the lane are living in fear of those occupying the laneway who regularly “intimidate” them.

A garda operation has seen some success in tackling the issues recently but Councilor Christy Burke told Dublin Live “it is kicking off again”.

Councilor Burke said: “It is a nightmare. My heart goes out to the residents out there, apart from the noise and the mayhem and intimidation, even to look out at such mayhem and anti-social [behaviour] is enough to put you off. “

Read next:

Sign up to the Dublin Live Newsletter to get all the latest Dublin news straight to your inbox.

.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
KQ Education Group