DEPARTMENT OF RESEARCH AND INNOVATION
HEAD: GRADUATE SUPPORT HUB
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 4
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria’s commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
To contribute towards the achievement of the University of Pretoria’s (UP) strategic goals. In addition, the position manages the provision of academic and administrative support to postgraduate students to “enhance access and successful student learning”, which is one of UP’s strategic goals.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Academic support to postgraduate students:
- Developing and implementing postgraduate academic support strategic plans that cater for all faculties at UP, in line with the overarching UP strategic plan;
- Facilitating the completion of postgraduate degree programs within the stipulated minimum periods for the specific degree programs;
- Managing a postgraduate help desk that provides a one-stop-shop for postgraduate information and support. The help desk facilitates the provision of academic support that addresses challenges that may not be addressed by formal academic curricula;
- Graduate one-stop-shop / center:
- Partnering with, and supporting professional service departments leading postgraduate recruitment for the University in line with the overarching UP strategic plan, the University’s five year plans and annual academic plans;
- Spearheading the development and maintenance of a web-based one-stop information portal for prospective and current students;
- Spearheading consultations with faculties and departments through relevant stakeholders responsible for research;
- Postgraduate bursaries and scholarship:
- Overseeing the management and administration of a portfolio of bursaries and scholarships aimed at enhancing access to quality higher education at UP;
- Implementing an effective and transparent application, selection, and awarding process;
- Postdoctoral fellowship programs:
- Overseeing and supervising the administration of postdoctoral fellowships that account for millions of rand per year;
- Spearheading quality assurance and quality control of the entire portfolio implementation, from efficient application and review processes to comprehensive reporting systems and impact analysis;
- Compiling reports covering the different postdoctoral fellowships;
- External funds for postgraduate scholarships and research:
- Facilitating grant applications for external funds to enhance access to education at UP and capacity development;
- Providing support to faculties and departments directly or through the applicable stakeholders eg UP Department of Institutional Advancement;
- Human Resources management:
- Confirming and formalizing the approved delegated responsibilities through job descriptions and procedure manuals;
- Managing and maintaining an effective performance management system to develop and enhance the performance of individuals, teams and the division;
- Attending to grievances according to prescribed Grievance Procedure guidelines;
- Managing the complete process of recruitment, selection and placement of staff;
- Managing the work allocation model for all staff within the section;
- Financial and administration management:
- Managing budgets for operational activities (telephone, courier, stationery, travel etc.);
- Approving divisional procurements.
- A PhD degree in a relevant field; with
- A total of eight years’ experience, of which three year in management, in:
- Teaching at university level;
- Conducting research (qualitative and qualitative);
- Supervising postgraduate students;
- Managing research projects;
- Capacity building of researchers.
REQUIRED COMPETENCES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Research methodologies;
- Higher education landscape;
- Research funding and grant applications;
- Plagiarism, copyright and intellectual property rights;
- Research and development;
- Research ethics;
- Qualitative research;
- Qualitative research;
- Use of statistical software (eg STATISTICA, SPSS);
- Used of qualitative data analysis software (Nvivo, Atlas.ti);
- Use of reference management software (eg Endnote, Mendeley, Zotero);
- Use of plagiarism software (eg Turnitin, Grammarly);
- Written and verbal communication skills;
- Behavioral competencies:
- Interpersonal skills;
- Leadership skills;
- Team building;
- Capacity building;
- Motivational skills;
- Stress tolerance;
- Decision making;
- Critical thinking.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Postgraduate qualifications in Higher Education [e.g. Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education PGDip(HE)];
- A total of two years’ experience in:
- Publishing in peer-reviewed journals;
- Publishing a book on research methodology;
- Conducting research with patentable inventions;
- A valid driver’s license (Essential).
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers @ UP ..
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 17 July 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the University’s Employment Equity Plan and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
By applying for this vacancy, the candidates consent to undergo verification of personal credentials and related information including, but not limited to, qualifications, criminal record, credit record, current and historic disciplinary proceedings as part of the selection process.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to fill the advertised positions.